Really? Still in 2014
OK I know – it’s not getting better – in fact today I read/watched an article/video that brought up the same subject.
It really saddens me that in 2014 we are still dealing with the “objectification” of women. According to wikipedia:
- as a tool for another’s purposes (instrumentality);
- as if lacking in agency or self-determination (denial of autonomy, inertness);
- as if owned by another (ownership);
- as if interchangeable (fungibility);
- as if permissible to damage or destroy (violability);
- as if there is no need for concern for their feelings and experiences (denial of subjectivity).
Just a while ago (as of this writing) here in San Antonio the local TedX community had a session on “Redefining Beauty”. I didn’t go because I’ve never had a big problem in being female. I was blessed to have a lot of “gender neutral” experiences growing up, but obviously that is not the case for everyone.
So what does this have to do with organization or being a messie? Well, humm, there is something there lurking in my brain. I guess that women need to realize that despite the “equality” push of the last few decades we can’t expect gender neutrality in all areas – in fact bias and negative practices against women are growing.
What are some things that I’ve been pondering?
- Pepper Spray – make sure it’s legal in your area to carry
- Self Defense courses – why not take a few?
- Know your surroundings, have an escape plan and don’t put yourself in a vulnerable position
- To heck with fashion or self expression – dress comfortable but conservative – don’t be “eye” candy – it’s not worth it these days when some cultures teach that “eye candy” is free for the taking!
I’ll finish with this interesting video –